Re: (TFT) Outdoor Scale - Request for Comments

I'm familiar with both Markland and Dagorhir, though I do SCA myself. I rather
dispute the statement that Dagorhir is using real armour, when metal knee and
elbow armour is specifically prohibited.

Try wearing transitional armour weighing 70 or so pounds and fight in a battle
for 90 minutes or so. Then again, you aren't striking continuously all that
time.

Weapons just aren't that heavy. A blade 30" long, 2"wide X 1/4" thick at the
tang and 1" X 1/8" at the tip weighs only a pund and a half (and is fairly
typical of dimensions of single handed blades somehwere about 1300). The
earlier Norse swords are a fair bit lighter. My statistics from "Fine Arms and
Armor of Dresden" (titled in German "Prunkwaffen", though I have it in both
languages) shows that rapiers averaged somewhere around 3 pounds total.

My personal take on it is that there's a couple of classes of weapons in TFT,
and they do more damage as ST increases, though in practice, at very high ST,
you might as well use a club. It always seemd odd to me that the same club
would do more damage if you raised your ST, but you had to buy a new sword.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com