Re: (TFT) 8 hits or more --> Duration of fall and cannon

Thanks for all who have replied to this so far.

I know that I've read about how SJ wrote most of the material in AM/AW/INL so I guess I consider it cannon. SJ even published an errata for AM/AW/INL so I know he had his hand in it's production. The game master's screen and the codex I'm not so sure of. For the most part AM/AW/INL and the microquest version(s) do not contradict each other (the standing on movement or standing as an action being one example). So I agree with Rick that whenever there is a question on how something should work in the advanced rules I've always turned to the microquest games to find the answer.

What I might be fishing for here is how many of us actually on this list play TFT by the book? It seems that a lot of members have added so many variables to the rules that many are not really playing the game anymore. (I for one am guilty of this, but only in a small way. I only have two, common house rules; one that splits ST for wizards into hits and fatigue and one that gives an extra D6 for pole weapons in a charge instead of double damage. And even then I've recently been thinking about going back to the double damage rule.)

Well said, Rick. I agree there is no canon here, because TFT never
really got past the unstable "2.0" stage with its true visionary
still in control. I'm calling version 1 the Microgames.

Is this true? I know SJ thanks a lot of people who helped him out on the advanced rules project but I believe he still had a lot of control over the content. HT even says he was not that happy with what SJ turned in but due to publishing deadlines he had to print what he had. This disagreement was probably the beginning of the end between the two of them.

Just for fun I would like to run an informal poll here. Please respond to only one:

1. Our group plays TFT by the book with no alterations.

2. Our group plays TFT with only one or two (minor at best) house rules.

3. Our group plays TFT with several GM invented house rules.

4. Our group plays TFT in name only, the rules have been so altered that you would barely recognize them.

My vote falls into number 2.

Bonus poll:

1. I believe the Fantasy Master's Screen and the Codex should be considered part of the official cannon.

2. I do not believe the Fantasy Master's Screen and the Codex should be considered part of the official cannon.

I'm voting for number 2.

--David O. Miller
Just for clarity I don't consider myself a rules lawyer so much as a rules purist (or, yikes, a rules fundamentalist).