RE: (TFT) Variants = flavor of the age

I've always seen the TFT character creation system as the great equalizer.
Unlike D&D where the "luck of the draw" makes a huge difference in character
power [try playing a character with all 11s' v. a character with all 18s']
in TFT you may be faster, but he is smarter and she is stronger, depending
on player preferences.  This isn't necessarily realistic either, but I have
always preferred the level playing field.  It doesn't mandate that everyone
is the same, but that they start equal in their own way.

The big racial differences always made sense to me - they still leave a lot
of room for variation within a race but do seem to model the kind of real
differences we might see if for example centaurs were around.  A relatively
strong human might be stronger than a relatively weak centaur, but
portraying an average centaur as stronger than an average human seems
reasonable.  Since this planet only has one race [I am soooo not getting
into a discussion of dolphins right now], anything we come up with is going
to be guesswork and extrapolation anyway.

I have made one major change to the races - Orcs havs starting ST 10, DX 8,
IQ 6 with 8 extra points.  I do not think Orcanthropus and Homo are
identical, and that difference better represents my view.  And Orcs heal a
natural 2 ST a day rather than the humans 1.  Makes up for the reaction
minus.

One of the many reasons that TFT is always the system I end up with is it's
incredible combination of flexibility and simplicity.  One can model pretty
much any culture, creature, law of metaphysics, etc., with a few simple die
rolls.  This is good.  Especially because having to break the mood by
hitting the reference books is not optimum.

I consider the extra points to be genetic/environmental variation. As has
been pointed out before TFT is fairly abstract, so unless you are really
into backstories Thud the Barbarian might be strong but dumb because anyone
who wasn't didn't survive the tribe's initiation rites, or it might be
because so were his ancestors back umpteen generations.  On the other hand
Thad the Barbarian might be weak, but quick and smart, because he was an
orphan and starved through childhood and made up for it as best he could, or
because he is a reversion to the travelling pedlar who stayed a week with
the tribe 2 generations ago.

Best,

Eric