Re: (TFT) Re: Death Test

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:52:14 -0600
Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu> wrote:

> At 2:44 -0500 1/29/09, John wrote:
> >Regarding your idea about the rating for monsters:  Do you think "Death
> >Test" was well-balanced for the 4 character party you could take in?
>
> Let's say it was well-named!

It's been a LONG time since I went through the DTs (hah!) but I recall
that there have been parties using the basic rules that survived, but
never on the first go-through.

One of the issues is how much the previous experience of the player
(and not the characters) influenced the survival rate.

I'm reminded of the Thorsz ranting in DT2, "They fill the gargoyles
with arrows, baffle the giant with images, and relieve themselves on
the spider-chest".

Were the 2 Death Tests "well-babanced"?  Probably not, they were
pretty brutal.  Were they survivable?  Yes they were.  Were they fun
*because* they were so damned hard?  You betcha!