(TFT) all over the map

"The difficulty of abstracting a MicroGame from a large system, when the large system exists only in the form of a steadily growing pile of notes and one ongoing campaign, should not be underestimated."

Go ahead. rub it in Steve.

Drop Weapon bugs me a little bit however.

Drop Weapon (T): Makes victim drop whatever is in one hand - a weapon, shield, or whatever. Will NOT make a ring or amulet fall off. Costs 1 ST, or 2 ST if victim's basic ST is 20 or more. A weapon or other object with "Immunity" (q.v.) to this spell will never be dropped accidentally; a roll of 17 does not affect it.

Where is the cross reference to Immunity or did he mean quantum vis rather than Quod vide? If I can grant as much immunity to dropped weapons as I like then I suppose any player who bothers to wear their wrist strap has immunity to wrist strapped things being dropped. like Wii remotes.

Anyway , I was off this morning looking for the early races and I run across a strong man competition.
In the car carry event the quickest man across 25m with the car wins.
The "car" in this event is actually a small compact car but the competitor stands in the middle with his feet on the ground, no floor, and his head through the roof. There's a shoulder harness rig to the thing and the total weight is 950 pounds. That's about 173 ST (~5.75*30) to cover ~19 and a quarter (1 square) hexes at ~1fps.
1 guy was out with injury.
The first fella who tried it made it to 15m and had to quit.
The next few did it in a range between 45 to 50 seconds.
I was highly impressed.
Between 9 to 10 turns to cover a little over 9 hexes (~39 feet) is less than a foot per second but still.
Then the second to last guy did it in ~26.5 seconds.
As I was gathering my jaw off the floor the last fella ran it in 19 seconds.
That's a touch over 2 fps (~1.3 mph).
It's over encumbered for sure (nobody's playing bumper cars with the things) but 950 pounds 2 fps is ~11.5 times ST 30.

"WEIGHT CARRIED
The weight a figure can carry is directly related to its strength, as follows:
Less than its ST: No penalty of any kind.
Dog-paddling or swimming allowed.
Less than 2 times ST, in kg: No penalty of any kind on land.
No swimming.
2 to 3 times ST: MA reduced to 8.
3 to 4 times ST: MA reduced to 6. DX -1.
4 to 5 times ST: MA reduced to 4. DX -2.
Note that these speeds refer to running (i.e., combat) speeds.
All figures walking normally through the labyrinth are assumed to have a MA of 3.
A figure may not carry more than 5 times his ST and travel normally.
However, it is possible to move very heavy loads for a short distance.
A figure can carry up to 7 times its ST for a short time - not over 10 minutes.
His ST is reduced by 1 every 2 minutes due to exhaustion.
The maximum a character can lift is his ST, squared.
However, a character can shift 2.5 times this weight, if he can get into a position which gives him leverage."

It's not too bad actually.
I wonder if Running still adds to the MA in those reductions?
ST 30 * ST 30 = 900 kg (~2000 lbs)
This actually may be a bit much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuRxpqP9BQY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnE6dh3nOCM&feature=related

ST 30 * 7 = 210 kg (~463 lbs)
Wow, again this may be a bit much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsDa8CFPXH4
That Poundstone is an absolute beast and didn't manage 350 lbs for two minutes. but of course he didn't have too as the other fella was already whupt.
Still, over 450 pounds for 10 minutes? (and only 5 fST?!?)

Hummm.
I count 30 ST as 165 pounds at 1fps for no fST cost.

What is TFT saying?
Less than twice a Figures ST in kg is no penalty.
30 kg is ~66 lbs.
59 kg is ~130 lbs.
10MA is ~43 feet in 5 seconds or getting on toward 6mph.

It seems I charge too much fST while TFT doesn't charge enough.
.
Oh yeah.
A Figure recovers from exhaustion by resting. To rest, you must sit or lie down quietly , doing nothing else. For every 15 minutes (game time) that a Figure rests, he/she can regain one ST point, up to full ST.

I find this recovery rate WAY too slow when looking at athletics.
In something like american football there are roughly 120 plays in a game and a play averages about 5 seconds or a TFT turn. That averages 10 minutes of Action out of an hour of allotted time and there's a halftime of 12 minutes. That's over 60 minutes of non-Action which would get a Figure 4 ST if they were laying down as it stands.

I still think the stuff on heart rates is pertainet and it makes for good bleeding.

Anyway, in a sprint race there is no rest.

Okay the Derby track is a mile with each straight away running a quarter mile and with quarter mile turns.
http://test.drf.com/tc/kentuckyderby/2009/info.html
So 2 furlongs (~153.5 Melee-hexes) at ~40mph (MA 64ish) let's them turn 180 w/o affecting the forward effort of the animal very much at all.

I use inspiration from Car Wars to handle this kind of stuff.
As I draw 1 inch hexes on quarter inch graph already the fit is pretty natural.
It also answers questions about turns at speed.

As scaled Car Wars uses 1 inch = 15 feet and 1 square = 3.75 feet.
Each inch is 10mph (~1.46 fps = 1 mph)
Each Turn is 1 second divided into 10 phases of 0.1 seconds each.
(why does this sound familiar?)
It'd be nice if a Melee-hex meshed up a little better, there's not quite 3.5 of them per inch at this scale, but you can't always get what you want I guess and a 10" by 8" page of 80 1" square-hexes is pretty close to 3" by 2" at this scale so it's not the end of the world.

Handling Track Status
Speed /  3, 2, 1, 0, -I, -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, / modifier
5- 10 / safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, / -
15- 20 / safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 2, / -
25- 30 / safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 3, 4, 4, / -2
35- 40 / safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, / 0
45- 50 / safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, / 1
55- 60 / safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, / 1
65- 70 / safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, XX, / 2
75- 80 / safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, XX, / 2
85- 90 / safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 3, 4, 5, XX, XX, / 3
95-100 / safe, safe, safe, safe, 3, 4, 5, 6, XX, XX, / 3
105-110 / safe, safe, safe, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, XX, XX, / 4
115-120 / safe, safe, safe, 2, 3, 4, 5, XX, XX, XX, / 4
125-130 / safe, safe, safe, 3, 4, 5, 6, XX, XX, XX, / 5
135-140 / safe, safe, 2, 3, 4, 5, XX, XX, XX, XX, / 5
145-150 / safe, safe, 3, 4, 5, 6, XX, XX, XX, XX, / 6
155-160 / safe, safe, 3, 4, 5, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, / 6
165-170 / safe, 2, 3, 4, 5, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, / 7
175-180 / safe, 2, 3, 4, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, / 7
185-190 / safe, 2, 3, 4, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, / 8
195-200 / 2, 3, 4, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, XX, / 8

Swerve - 15 degrees @ D1
Hard Swerve - 30 degrees @ D3
Bend - 45 degrees @ D3
Tight Bend - 90 degrees @ D6

A thoroughbred averages around 35 to 40 mph
Speed /  3, 2, 1, 0, -I, -2, -3, -4 -5 -6 / modifier
35- 40 / safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, / 0

So if a horse has a handling class of 0 (silly, see quarter horses) and the rider has no skill then the horse can still turn roughly 15 degrees a second safely and can turn around 45 degrees a second with success on a roll of 2 or higher on a d6 according to Car Wars. At a two minute pace over 10 furlongs (or across 10 acres) it takes ~36 seconds (7 Melee Turns) to get through a quarter mile (2 furlongs).
It takes 12 Swerves to turn 180 degrees.
Counted like this the horse can turn 540 degrees in a quarter mile @ ~40 mph safely.

Hee hee hee. picked first and third this year.
Poor Shackleford almost was able to hold on, leading from start to less than 200 yards from the finish (2200 yards total) and my personal favorite Master of Hounds may have been in the money with another furlong the way he was coming on at the end.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032808/

Anyway. from Car Wars;
"Most pedestrians move at 12.5 mph; that is, they move one quarter inch on every odd-numbered phase. Pedestrians with the Running skill (see Section VII, Continuing Characters) can move faster."

"Running: Everyone gets this skill at its base level.
Each plus adds 2.5 mph to a character's speed - with Running +3, you move at 20
mph and Sprint at 25 mph!
No character may move faster than 25 mph (even while Sprinting), no matter how many plusses he has. There is no way to earn points specifically in Running, but general skill points (see below) may be spent to improve the skill."

Interesting.

A TFT Figure with MA 10 is moving at less than half the speed of a Car Wars Pedestrian.
Give them Running and they make 7 mph.

It almost seems like the TFT assumption is that everyone wears plate (and I don't think plate slows you down as much as it builds fST much faster).
Let's see what he does to cars for encumbrance.

A mid-sized car with a medium power plant weighs 2300 lbs out of a max load of 4800 which is almost half its capacity for weight in body and power plant. Of the 13 spaces a bit under a third are taken up by the power plant at 4 spaces of 2 damage points apiece.
How big is a space?
A Pickup is listed with 11 spaces for cargo (and the same number of internal spaces as a mid-sized car?). The bed of an F-150 is about 5 feet by 6 feet or about 30 square feet for a standard bed.
1 square = 3.75 feet across.
30 square feet / 11 spaces = ~2.75 square feet per space.
2.75 * 4 = 11
11 / 3.75 =  ~3
So about 4 spaces every 3 squares or 16 spaces in an area 3 by 3 (9) squares? Better I think to adjust spaces to squares as I'll be building Ogre's with this stuff too and the squares are a better visual.