Re: (TFT) chances of doing very little damage

Dud hits (hits that make contact but don't do damage) on the continuum of
damage you discuss below could be modeled as misses in TFT, since they're
basically clumsy (lacking skill) hits. It doesn't mean a failed DX roll or
automatic miss doesn't "miss" - the form of the miss is not defined in the
abstraction.

The defending example was to demonstrate that an attacking player is not
necessarily "missing the tree" if he rolls a miss. It's not like a player
gets smaller (harder to hit) when defending (since it requires a weapon).
The defender is harder to damage in the first place. It's subtle, but I
think it works in the abstraction.

Another argument that might support failed DX rolls possibly making contact
is the example of breaking a weapon. Conceivably swinging and hitting
nothing (i.e. a really bad miss) wouldn't break a weapon. OK, maybe you
dropped it on the ground and it breaks, but it would seem unrealistic to me
to say that is how all weapons break during combat. Sometimes you hit the
tree improperly (not causing it any measurable damage), and your ax breaks!

Anyway, just my way to see details in the simple abstraction of TFT combat.