Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:32 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Death Test 1, take 4: SURVIVED!

On Oct 6, 2011, at 11:56 AM, gem6868 wrote:

However, I also subscribe to the rules interpretation that says if there isn't a successful charge (3 straight hexes) or the character isn't Charged, then the polearm advantage doesn't come into effect.

Why not? I can go out in the back yard with a thick pointy stick,
stand fairly close to an enemy, and putting all my weight behind it on
that tiny point do a massive amount of damage to a person as I run
them clean through and keep pushing really hard. It's called impaling
damage and I'm sure it hurts like hell. I've always thought that the
unfortunate choice of the term "charge attack" narrows a persons
interpretation of what the rule is attempting to cover way too much,
which is really being impaled. I don't need to run 10 or 15 feet
towards a person to put my weight behind such an attack. All of my
weight and strength is centered on a small point that has a better
chance of puncturing armor than an edged or club like weapon does and
momentum, at least to me, really doesn't add that much. In fact it
might even make it harder to hit someone.

This is always an interesting subject for me every time it comes up.
There is always a perceived problem with the rules that centers on the
word "charge". Put in the three hex charge rule and you change the
tactics of the original advanced game too much for my liking.

David O. Miller
www.meleewizards.com