Re: (TFT) Man To Man & GURPS - was Re: (TFT) The return of Ogre - Rick did something silly.

What I got out of the article is that the author is a big Steve Jackson fan
 (so am I, naturally), and somehow feels that credit for RPG fun is a zero-
sum game where someone's reputation can only be supported by detracting fro
m someone else's.  Sure D&D could be the Orc Holocaust, but then, so coul
d GURPS -- it's all about how you want to play and what kind of show your G
M puts on.

My brother and I started with Empire of the Petal Throne (a
ctually, being hardcore wargamers, we thought it was some weird new wargame
 when we first picked it up, only to be disabused of that notion when we st
arted figuring out the rules), and NONE of our games were EVER hack and sla
sh -- even though we started out in the Jakallan underworld tomb-crawling p
aradigm.  Both of us took turns creating and running dungeons for each ot
her, and his work was always a severe mental challenge with lots of psychol
ogical puzzles to figure out, interspersed with a bit of combat here and th
ere, whereas mine were always highly challenging trap labyrinths, with a li
ttle bit of combat sprinkled here and there.  In both our cases, the comb
ats always made "sense" in terms of the tomb we were creating -- never an o
rc mommy and baby to be seen (or slaughtered).  Even when we picked  up
 the D&D white box a year or so later, we never did any of that nonsense --
 the orcs and
 hobgoblins and such like were always war parties or individual champions w
ho had a REASON to be there.

I don't think either one of us was into o
rc-village atrocities.  As we expanded our role-playing into other groups
 and went on with our lives, neither one of us ever reported that sort of t
hing to each other when we talked about the stuff we were doing.  And no
one in my RPG groups ever got into it either.  The bottom line is that "R
PG-ing" is pretty much what you make of it, and the rules don't really enco
urage (or discourage, for that matter) that sort of play.  I'm pretty sur
e I'd remember if Gygax ever published anything that said it was a positive
 good to dismember babies, just as I'm pretty sure Steve didn't say that an
ywhere either.  If I have a player who thinks its funny to break into an
orc kindergarten and kill the orc toddlers, I'm pretty much going to treat
him or her like any other terrorist who would do such a thing.  In game t
erms, that means that the entire orc nation will probably be hunting that c
haracter with one goal in life --
 to butcher him/her like a dog.  Just as that character would deserve.
 In games with "good" and "evil" aspects, such an action would certainly
count as "evil" in my book.

Let's face it -- D&D WAS the first of it's
 kind in terms of widespread public access, and sure, the rules are clunky
and the system is badly dated, especially in terms of how experience points
 were assessed, but things like GURPS were built on that foundation, and ha
ve substantially improved the genre, but wouldn't have existed (at least in
 the form they take) without Gygax and Arneson breaking trail for them.
To condemn them for being clunky is the same as saying, "Gee, those Wright
Brothers sure screwed up that airplane of theirs -- take a look at this F-2
2 and then tell me the Wright Flyer was an achievement!"

______