(TFT) Abstraction in game design - rpg design.

Hi Joseph,
  As a professional designer of computer games, I can say that the art
is highly limited by design constraints.  I prefer face to face RPG's
because the players have far, FAR more freedom to do weird ass
things than in a CPU RPG.

  Your point about abstraction is dead on.  The war game "War in
North Africa" had an immense amount of detail.  Rescuing downed
pilots from aircraft, complex rules on water (Italians needed more
water because they wouldn't give up their pasta), etc. etc.

  You could say, "This game details the decisions that the commanding
Generals (Rommel and various Allied generals) had to make.  But
the level of detail, actually worked against this fantasy.  Rommel would
not worry about hunting down individual pilots.  Some levels of detail,
are not only less playable, but actually break the fantasy that the
designer is trying to create.

  Abstraction is a key (perhaps the key) element that designers have
to get right.

  Warm regards, Rick