Re: (TFT) Megahex definition

Interesting formula David. However personally, the last thing I want to
do when gaming a fast, free flowing combat system that prides itself in
it's simplicity is to stop and do math.

As some of you know our group games Melee on painted and flocked
heroscape terrain, as well as other visually interesting custom terrain.
The mere thought of drawing thick black lines on that terrain to
represent megahexes is just ludicrous. Where would you even start? What
hexes do you delineate as megahexes in a bizarrely shaped cave complex?
Plus, we deal with large playing surfaces so the count 6 hexes rule we
use works well for us, solves problems, and stops any disagreements with
the rules.

Because of what custom terrain introduces to the playing surface we made
a range finder string. It's basically knotted off every 6 hexes,
measuring along the hex spine. You hold one end over the bowman/caster,
and then, stretching it taught, place it over the intended target. Not
only does this give you an accurate range every time, consistently and
fairly across the board, it also shows if you have a clear line of sight
to your target. When we place things like trees and buildings (all based
on hex bases of course) on the battlefield it's sometimes hard to simply
"eyeball" it.

And I'm not too sure I get square megahexes. How do you target the
center hex? There isn't one. Seems kinda gimmicky to me. We just simply
live with half hexes when we need to make square buildings. The rules
for them are quite simple. If anyone's interested head over to this post
at Heroscapers.com to see some of my buildings and customs terrain being
used in a Super Heroscape game. We, of course, have made everything
modular so we can use it in any type of game, be it fantasy, scifi,
zombie apocalypse, etc.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showpost.php?p96819&postcount1556

David
David O. Miller
Miller Design/Illustration
www.davidomiller.com

2 Dean Court
East Northport, NY 11731
(631) 266-6875

On Dec 7, 2015, at 11:42 PM, David Bofinger <bofinger.david@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah, well if you're using square megahexes then the missile range
increment
> would be 2*sqrt(7.5) ~ 5.48.
>
> Square megahexes are a really nice idea.
>
>> But if you like the solution, and want to make it 5 hexes, have at
it!
>> Just shortens the range of the bows, that's all.
>
> Well, slightly. But not as much as using 6 would lengthen it. Anyway,
> archers are always over-endowed with adjDX so it's probably a good
thing to
> slap some negatives on them.
>
> "Count the hexes, divide by five, round down, stick a minus sign in
front"
> is pretty simple, and as accurate a description as anything else I've
seen.
> It also gives the correct answer for someone standing in the middle of
> their megahex and shooting at shortish range, which divide-by-6
doesn't.
> All in all I can't see why anyone would want to use 6 rather than 5.
>
> --
> David
>

> On 8 December 2015 at 09:51, Craig Barber <craigwbar@comcast.net>
wrote:

>> OMG!  You made my day, someone remembers square megahexes!
>>
>> On 12/7/2015 11:21 AM, Marc Gacy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jay,
>>>
>>> Many of your map excursions look like mine (hexes on a globe),
squares o
>>> hexes, etc.!
>>>
>>> For everyone,
>>>
>>> As to Megahexes, for those who still like to use them, but want
rooms th
> at
>>> are not slanted, there are always "square meagahexes" to have your
cake
>>> and
>>> eat it too.
>>>
>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~marcgacy/TFT/Hexes_1inch.pdf
>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~marcgacy/TFT/Hexes_p75inch.pdf
>>>
>>> (these roughly translate to 10 ft corridors, which is about the
right
>>> scale
>>> if I remember correctly (1 hex
>>> I think Mhexes are a great way to "scale up" a battle easily ala
Lords o

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOVFgDVVjt3PqCDK2p4E5FEtgc4FO6uxMnd