Re: [Slope: Ch 11] Yet another idea on how to improve Defending

Mine, too, and I've cut things I'm not answering.

> Hi David, everyone.
>   My comments are inline.
>

>> On May 16, 2018, at 2:12 AM, David Bofinger <bofinger.david@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

> In the debate on this point on the SJG forum, someone argued that the
> Defend option should be a contest which looked at the relative skills of
> both the attacker and defender.  While I agree with the logic of this
> argument, I am looking for a way to fix the defend option as it works now.

Really, attacking should be the same way, if we're going for reality. I've
tried various ways to deal with this, but all proved unsatisfactory in one
way or another. The one that got closest was to set a base of 10DX, and
your adjDX was that + the difference between your and the other guy's DX.
So 2 guys with the same DX are adjDX 10.

> I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point.  Two things about
> TFT combat is that:
> — They are very short.  Far more so than in real life.

Completely and utterly incorrect as to the second point (the first is true
compared to many/most game systems). Especially with weapons. But it's
also true that 'damage' isn't terribly realistic at describing the
outcomes of most unarmed fights.

There's less reality in the idea that one action takes 5 seconds than in
the duration of TFT fights.

> — Too often the combats are hack, hack, hack, hack.  Fight over.  A bit of
> defending adds variety.

Agreed. As does any tactical sense whatsoever.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com