Re: Yet another idea on how to improve Defending

> Thoughts?

TFT doesn't scale well to ultra-high attributes. At the same time, it's
not hard to kill any particular character, if you work at it. This is why
my campaign encouraged PCs going in for temporal power. And why I enforced
the aging rules.

No one quite got to the point of being able to ensure their life through
Youth potions. Nor figured out why that was so.

But back to mechanics...

In my real-worked experiences, low DX (inexperienced) fighters, and high
DX (experienced) fighters have about the same outcomes with their similar
counterparts. The salient difference is that the inexperienced use
technique to win (whoever gets the technique right first wins), and the
experienced use strategy to win (whoever outmaneuvers the other first
wins). Low vs. high is nearly inevitably the same result every time --
high DX wins*. Period. In that respect, TFT is accurate. And it doesn't
matter if the low DX guy is fully defensive. He's still going to get hurt.

TFT combat is deadly, and I like that (same things I've said before, and
it depends on what sort of game you want). Don't go into combat unless you
don't mind dying.

If you're stupid enough to go after an opponent who outclasses you you die.

If you're stupid enough to make an opponent who outclasses you come after
you, you die.

*One example was at a sort of seminar. There were maybe 9 guys of high
rank, and about 70 of lower rank. At the end, the 9 of us took on each of
the 70, one at a time. A couple of the 70 complained at having to do 9
bouts back to back. Sheesh. We had to do 70 back to back. I did not lose a
single one. In fact, I did the same technique on the first 30 at least. My
fellow high-ranker leaned over and asked, "When do you think they'll catch
on?"

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com