(TFT) Clarification

Okay, I'm an idiot.  I've never really learned the
rules for magic in TFT very well.  I need one point
clarified by you veterans out there.

When it comes to casting spells, is the ST used in
casting a spell a matter of fatigue, or does it count
towards wounds when determining if someone is downed?

Example:  Wizard (ST10) casts a spell using ST3.  The
Wizard then takes 8 points of damage.  Is the Wizard
dead/unconsious?  Or is the wizard still at ST2, but
not capable of casting spells because his effective
mana ST is currently -1?

HELP!

Thanks everyone,

Brennan