Re: (TFT) spear & halberd damage

I agree. This is why I say every variant should start with an explanation
of why it's being written.

Looks like the halberd's been nerfed because some people perceived it was
too good, the spear's been upgraded because it was perceived to be not good
enough. Probably someone's house rule that was copied over.

There's no doubt pole weapons are better than swords in the rules as they
are. If we want them to be equally good, as it looks like someone did, then
taking into account how nice the pole weapon advantages are I think giving
them about 2/3 the damage of a sword or axe at the same ST makes sense. So
if the generic sword from ST 9 to ST 15 is, say, (9:1+1, 10:2-1, 11:2+0,
12:2+1, 13:3-1, 14:3+0, 15:3+1) (a bit better than AM) then the pole weapon
might be (9:1-1, 10:1+0, 11:1+1, 12:2-2, 13:2-1, 14:2+0, 15:2+1, 16:2+2) (a
bit worse than AM). (I did that on an Excel spreadsheet just now.)

You would want to modify this for one handed versus two-handed, which
unfortunately TFT handles very badly. A simple rule might be you get +x ST
for calculating damage if you wield two-handed, or you can have y points of
protection from a shield, where y is x plus the DX penalty. Set x=1 to
approximately replicate the standard rules and maybe bigger to be more
realistic.

The only other issue I can think of is the fencing talent, which for very
powerful characters makes swords better.

When I wrote a generic weapons generator program I tried to equalise the
effectiveness of all weapons, taking as much into account as I could.I'm
still not sure how to make use of it. It basically did a much more
sophisticated version of the previous paragraphs with dozens of historical
weapons.

---
David