(TFT) ST effects on weapons

At 06:30 AM 11/20/03 -0600, Ty Beard wrote:
It's interesting to me that many of us have independently found the same
problems with TFT and have come up with similar solutions. My rule was +1
per 2 points of ST higher than the weapon and -1 per 1 point of ST lower
than the weapon's requirement, with a similar DX adjustment kicking in if
the weapon's required ST exceeds your ST by more than 2.

Yes it's a pretty obvious over-generalization of the rules, especially
when you see characters with high ST who want to use, say, a broadsword,
and it seems so pointless. It's one of the prime indicators of "NPC's
who must be fools", almost as bad as people with bronze bucklers, etc.

;->

I like +1 damage per 2 ST over, for TFT. I'd probably do -1 per 2 ST under,
as well as -1 DX per 1 ST under, though the DX penalty is steep enough
that I'm not sure you need to reduce the damage if there is that penalty -
I'd assume the user is putting extra effort, so the weapon's base damage
could be done, but would be unlikely to arrive on target.

TFT already has a rule of -1 DX per ST below the weapon requirement, IIRC.
Did you decide it should be less?

Anyone remember the published suggestion (in Interplay, I think, or maybe
the Codex?) for a new weapon called a "Special Sword" which would do
damage based on ST. I remember thinking the name and the suggestion were
a bit absurd, since it should either apply to all weapons, or none (and
no warrior would be caught dead with a weapon called a "Special Sword").
Maybe I'm remembering only my first misunderstanding of the suggestion,
though, and it was really meaning to propose rules for making especially
large weapons for giants or something.

PvK